UPDATE: Armed search concludes in Keele

Armed searches of the Keele area have concluded following a firearms incident on Saturday 10 October.

At around 10.30pm police were called to a farm in Three Mile Lane, Keele, after a farm worker disturbed a group of men in an outbuilding. The men ran off and the worker followed in a vehicle. It is reported that as they ran away one of the men fired a weapon at the worker.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident but the worker was left shaken. His vehicle window was damaged. A forensic search of the scene is ongoing.

It is believed there were six men, aged in their twenties or thirties and they’re believed to be foreign nationals.

It is possible the men are linked to an earlier incident at Keele Services on Saturday morning when men were seen climbing from the back of a HGV. Officers responded immediately and arrested a number of individuals but additional men made off.

Due to the close proximity to the services it is likely the men found at the farm are the outstanding males but this cannot be confirmed at this time.

After an initial search on Saturday night a number of specially trained armed response officers carried out further searches of the area yesterday (Sunday) with assistance from police dogs and the police helicopter. No one was located and searches have now concluded.

Chief Inspector Clare Riley, Newcastle Local Policing Team Commander, said: “Fortunately no one was injured during this incident but we have taken the report seriously and carried out thorough inquiries to trace those involved, sadly with no result.

“A number of officers have carried out detailed searches of surrounding land, woodland and buildings. They also spoke to residents and carried out checks on three suspicious men seen in Madeley but it was established they were not connected to the incident.

“Colleagues from neighbouring forces and staff at Keele Services have been made aware and immigration are dealing with those arrested on Saturday morning.

“We can reassure residents that there have been no further sightings of the men but please report anything suspicious to us by calling 101.”