Three more people have been charged with offences in connection with the death of Carl Tindall in August 2015.
Louise Hurmson, aged 32, of Avenue Road, Cannock; Sarah Hurmson, aged 35, of Greig Court, Cannock, and Anthony Boddison, aged 25, of St Peter’s Gardens, Stafford, are all charged with assisting an offender.
All three have been bailed and will appear before magistrates in Cannock on January 13.
A fourth person, 35-year-old Jamie Sleigh, of St John’s Road, Cannock, was charged in August with the manslaughter of Mr Tindall and is due to appear at Stafford Crown Court in February.
A man has been convicted of the manslaughter of a Tamworth man earlier this year.
Ross Gill, 24, of Faringdon, Tamworth, was due to stand trial at Stafford Crown Court this week but on Tuesday 27 October he pleaded guilty.
Today, Thursday 29 October, Gill was sentenced to six years and three months in prison for the manslaughter of Jason Grice.
Emergency services were called to reports of a man lying in the road outside The Yews Farm, Haunton, near Tamworth, just before 12pm on Saturday 2 May.
The man, 28-year-old Jason, had suffered significant head injuries and sadly died on Sunday 3 May at the University Hospital of Coventry.
The court heard how Jason sustained his injuries after leaving a blue Skoda Fabia, registration FE57 RUA, driven by Gill.
A detailed and thorough investigation by Staffordshire Police’s Major Investigation Department established that Gill was angry with Jason as he believed he had sold his property. He had asked Jason to store it for him at his home in Sorrel, Tamworth.
It is believed that as Jason was walking along Woodlands Road or Tamworth Road in Amington at around 11am on Saturday 2 May he was picked up by Gill. Jason then remained in the car where he was subjected to threatening and violent verbal abuse as Gill drove to Haunton where Jason sadly exited the car sustaining fatal injuries.
Two others, Carl Durham, 32, of Spruce Street, Tamworth, and Carl Villiers, 25, of Sorrel, Tamworth, were charged with kidnap and manslaughter but no evidence was offered at court against them. The two were therefore released without further action.
Detective Inspector Glyn Pattinson, who led the investigation, said: “We welcome the conclusion reached today. This incident saw a petty dispute over property escalate, resulting in disproportionate threats and violence towards the victim.
“Only the defendant truly know what happened in the car that day. However, our evidence indicates that whatever he said and did to Jason, it resulted in him leaving the car while it travelled at speed. Not something he would have willingly chosen to do.
“It is tragic that an argument over property led to the loss of a young man’s life.
“We hope today’s outcome brings some form of comfort and closure to Jason’s family.”
Three men have been jailed for a total of 24 years for their parts in a serious assault that took place in Stonnall in December last year.
Tyrone Ford, 24, of Mill Gardens, Smethwick; Liam Ford, 27, of Old Hawne Lane, Halesowen and Aaron Brown-Williams, 31, of Houghton Rd, Grantham, Lincs had pleaded guilty to Section 18 wounding with intent and burglary at a hearing on 7 July at Stafford Crown Court.
They were sentenced at Stafford Crown Court on Friday (23 Oct).
Tyrone Ford was jailed for 12 years; Liam Ford for three years and Aaron Brown-Williams for nine years.
At around 8.30pm on 21 December 2014, the three broke into the flat of their victim, Dale Chilton, beat him and stabbed him in his torso before stealing some of his property and his car. Mr Chilton was treated in hospital for a fractured skull and a puncture wound to his chest. The attack had come as a result of a dispute over repayment of a debt.
Tyrone Ford was arrested later that evening in the West Midlands area. Liam Ford was arrested at his home address on 12 January 2015 and Aaron Williams avoided detention until 21 March when he was arrested in Grantham, Lincolnshire.
Staffordshire Police’s DI Lesley Fowler said: “The attack on Dale Chilton was vicious and had the potential to cause severe injuries to the victim. Tracing the three offenders involved a lot of time, effort and investigative skill. It also required a considerable amount of co-operation from other forces, for which we are grateful.
“These sentences show that we will not tolerate people who try to use violence to settle disputes and they will be brought before the courts, no matter how hard they try to avoid capture.”
A woman has been banned from driving and given a suspended sentence today after being found guilty of causing the death of a motorcyclist in Newcastle last year following a four-day trial at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.
Diane Ball, 47, of Priam Close, Bradwell was driving a green Toyota Corolla when it was in collision with the Honda motorcycle being ridden by well-known local man, 57-year-old Michael, known as Mick, Thompson, at around 5.15 pm on Saturday 3 May 2014.
Mr Thompson, of Priam Close, Bradwell, suffered severe injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene on Bradwell Lane near its junction with Clare Avenue and Arnold Grove.
The court heard that Ball was pulling out at the junction of Arnold Grove and Bradwell Lane to go straight across to Claire Avenue when she failed to see Mr Thompson on his motorbike and collided with him.
The jury found her guilty of causing death by careless driving. She was banned from driving for two years and sentenced to 26 weeks, suspended for 18 months and 150 hours of unpaid work.
After the verdict Sgt Ian Tanner of the West Midlands Collision Investigation Unit said: “This was a tragic incident which cost the life of an experienced motorcyclist. Ball’s inattention cost the life of another road user. Car drivers need to make sure they ‘think bike’ before making a manoeuvre as even a short loss of concentration can prove fatal to a biker.
“Ball is lucky, she walked away from the collision, whereas Mr Thompson was not as fortunate and his family will have to live with the consequences of her carelessness for the rest of their lives.”
Photo: Mr Thompson at the finish of the London Marathon in April 2014.
A 39-year-old man from Burton-on-Trent will appear before Cannock Magistrates on Saturday morning charged with a grooming offence after being arrested on Friday morning by police from Staffordshire’s Operation Safenet.
Staffordshire Police launched Operation Safenet to safeguard children by detecting abuse and prosecuting offenders for the possession and distribution of indecent images. On Friday morning officers attended a location in East Staffordshire to wait for a man who thought he was meeting a teenage girl. When the suspect arrived we was met by six police officers from Operation Safenet.
The man was arrested and questioned by officers. This resulted in Jason Lee Harrison, aged 39 from Saxon Street, Burton-on-Trent being charged with attempt to meet a girl under 16 years of age following grooming. He will remain in police custody until his appearance at court.
Two males, one aged 18 and one 17, will appear before Magistrates in Birmingham on Friday morning charged with a significant number serious offences against teenagers following their arrest on Thursday morning.
The 17-year-old male, from Stoke-on-Trent, who can’t be named for legal reasons, has been charged 13 offences including inciting a 13-15 year-old to engage in sexual activity, rape,and kidnap.
The second male, 18-year-old Jason Hendry Price from Burnaby Road, Stoke-onTrent has been charged 14 offences including rape, sexual assault, aiding rape, kidnap and attempted kidnap. The offences are alleged to have been committed during 2014 and 2014 and are part of a sexual exploitation investigation.
Staffordshire Police together with local partners have taken action to safeguard those affected by these offences.
UPDATE: Both males have been remanded in custody until their next appearance on 16 October.
Four men from Staffordshire, caught in an undercover operation that saw more than £334,000 worth of cocaine seized, were today, September 24, sentenced to a total of 31 years in jail.
Andrew Pettit, aged 45 and his 44-year-old brother Michael Pettit, Kevin Marsden, aged 47, and Paul Cooper, aged 30, were sentenced at Stafford Crown Court.
Andrew Pettit, of Izaak Walton Street, Stafford, received 12 years years imprisonment;
Kevin Marsden, of Poplar Close, Stone, was given 10 years imprisonment;
Michael Pettit, of Weston Road, Stafford, received six years imprisonment; and
Paul Cooper, of Fancy Walk, Stafford, received three years imprisonment.
The Pettit brothers and Marsden had been found guilty of conspiring to supply a controlled drug – Cocaine – at a hearing on July 20, while Cooper pleaded guilty to the same charge at a hearing in 2014.
Sentencing the men today, Judge Chambers said it had been “an organised, professional operation sourcing cocaine from Liverpool for distribution in Stafford.”
He classed Andrew Pettit as “the principal organiser/director” of the operation, with Marsden playing “a significant role” and Michael Pettit “a lieutenent to his brother Andrew.”
Senior investigating officer, Detective Supt. Simon Duffy, said: “These convictions bring about a successful conclusion to a determined, proactive, operation targeting an organised crime group that was responsible for trafficking cocaine throughout mid and north Staffordshire.
“Cocaine brings problems to our town centre nightlife and ultimately misery to many users and their families. Staffordshire Police remain committed, through Operation Nemesis, to bring to justice those responsible for dealing these drugs.
“We worked closely with the Crown Prosecution Service to bring these men to justice and are pleased to see a positive outcome. We hope it sends out a strong message to anyone considering taking a similar path that drug dealers will be prosecuted.”
At a three-week trial in July, the prosecution said that police surveillance began in April 2013. Michael Pettit co-ordinated a meeting between Marsden and Cooper and officers were following Marsden’s car when it stopped in Greyfriars and Cooper got out.
Cooper was arrested as he walked away, dropping a package and a mobile phone. Marsden’s fingerprints were on the package which contained an ounce of high purity cocaine with a potential street value of £7,360.
Although Cooper was arrested, Marsden was left free to enable officers to observe his activities.
His BMW car was later observed outside the Water Mill public house, Mill Street, Stafford and Marsden seen receiving a roll of money.
Marsden then visited Andrew Pettit’s home in Stafford and a phone call was made at that time to a number in Liverpool setting up the collection of the cocaine.
Marsden was seen leaving the house with a carrier bag and was followed driving his BMW to Liverpool. He was stopped driving south on the M6 shortly after 10pm on May 23, 2013 with a bag containing a kilo of high-purity cocaine in the boot. The drugs had an estimated street value of £272,000.
The following day searches of Marsden’s workplace recovered a further quarter of a kilo of cocaine with a potential street value of £62,520.